Thursday, September 9, 2010

FFXIV - Community Anyone? Anyone? Hello?

One thing that has stricken me as odd is the shear unwillingness of a lot of the beta players to converse and share information. This isn't anything like my FFXI experience. For this reason, I can't wait until the 22nd for the Collector's Edition access to kick in. I really do think that a big part of the problem is that the beta tester population is significantly not made of people who enjoyed FFXI.

The game mechanics don't necessarily necessitate solo play, but it seems that people are very much of the mind that they just want to be left alone. Going back to the problem of locating the correct type of shards or crystals, asking in say at the camp or in shout in the city often resulted in not a single response. The same goes for asking random people if they'd like to group up to break the monotomy of grinding between levels 6-8, where it only makes sense to fight the mobs that are tough enough to make each fight a bit risky.

Maybe I haven't met the right beta testers, but the game right now seems to be even more solo than WoW is touted to be. That said, I've had a great leve group out at Camp Drybone, so I know it can be done. I guess that people just need time to figure out what works and what doesn't. That doesn't explain the radio silence, but what can you do?

All said, I'm looking forward to launch on the 22nd! Since the beta doesn't consist of /bug reports, I'm trying to learn as much as I can before the game goes live.

No comments:

Post a Comment