Monday, September 13, 2010

FFXIV Playstation 3 Alternative?

Well, it's time for me to go back to school again to pursue my Masters, so it wasn't too difficult to persuade myself into buying a new laptop. Sure enough, one thing led to another and I ended up with a nice ASUS gaming machine that is pure over-kill for anything a degree in Information Security and Assurance could possibly throw my way. The G73JH-A1 is a powerhouse of a laptop with a 1.6GHz Intel i7-720QM Quad-Core Processor, 8GB of DDR3 Ram, and a full terabyte of storage.

But as gamers, isn't that pretty much our nature? Besides, who wants a machine that operates at the pace of a fast snail by the time the degree program is finished? Am I right?

Anyway, the laptop arrived on Friday so after removing bloatware and creating a restore image, I loaded up the FFXIV Open Beta and used the HDMI out to send it over to my 42 inch LCD TV. That, combined with my Logitech gaming controller, turned the otherwise PC experience into something of a consoler's dream.

After a few hours in Gridania and the surrounding areas, I'm more than confident that my setup would satisfy the most ardent of console gamers desires. The laptop ran cool as a breeze and the gameplay was smooth and clean. Plus, with the bluray player and the built in storage, this beast is a competent media center monster. Of course, the price is a bit up there for someone who is just looking for that console experience at the same time as PC release as promised earlier in the year. That said, if you're in the market, this is definitely the way to go.

As for school, I suppose I'll be playing as a reward for good behavior, so here's to hard work and good grades, lounging out in my free time with the kids watching the screen while I play some MMO goodness and de-stress. Cheers!
Published with Blogger-droid v1.5.9

No comments:

Post a Comment